Jimma University (JU) is one of the top teaching universities in Ethiopa and is located in Oromia Region, Jimma Zone. It offers programs and researches which lead toward degrees in different fields of studies. It was established in December 1999 with the amalgamation of the Jimma College of Agriculture (founded in 1952) and the Jimma Institute of Health Sciences (founded in 1983). JU is Ethiopia’s first innovative Community Oriented Education Institution of higher learning.Community-Based Education (CBE) is a means of achieving educational relevance to community needs and consequently of implementing a community-oriented education program. It consists of learning activities that use the community extensively as a learning environment, in which not only students but also teachers, members of the community, and other sectors are actively engaged throughout the educational experience.CBE, as an educational philosophy aims at developing professionals with problem identification and solving skills and positive attitudes to serve the society.
Colleges/school/institutes of Jimma University
* College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
* College of Public Health and Medical Sciences
* College of Business & Economics
* College of Engineering and Technology
* College of Natural Sciences
* College of Social sciences and Law
* School of Graduate Studies
* Institute of Health Sciences Research
* Institute of Education
The College of Engineering and Technology
The college of Engineering and Technology is one of the many college under Jimma University. It is located in the main campus where the former Jimma Institute of Health Sciences was established. The Faculty was established in September 1997. The faculty comprised five departments Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering,Water Resource and Environmental Engineering and Biomedical Engineering
* To produce technically sound and practically competent engineers of global standard.
* Produce professionals equipped with relevant knowledge, skills and attitude that would contribute to the development of the country.
* To produce professionals, not government expectants for jobs, but job creators.
* To reorient the education system to be more practical, research oriented and problem solving.
* To offer technical consultancy services to Government and other state and private organizations.
* To provide and expedite appropriate training programs to Government and private employees with the view to upgrading and updating their skills.
Chapter Secretary: Sura Emiru